Last Updated: May 24, 2021
Collection of Information
Use of Information
Sharing of Information
Social Sharing Features
Analytics Services Provided by Others
Transfer of Information to the United States and Other Countries
Additional Disclosures for Individuals in Europe
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we may collect information when you subscribe to our newsletter, fill out a form, respond to a survey or request, make a donation, register for an event, sign up for SMS programs, communicate with us via third party social media sites, send us an email or text, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, zip code, phone number, mobile number, credit card and other payment information, donation history, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect certain information, including:
- Log and Usage Information: We collect information related to your access to and use of the Sites, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Sites.
- Device Information: We collect information about how you access our Services, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, and app version. We also collect information about your activity on our Services, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Location Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device. You may stop the collection of precise location information at any time (see the Your Choices section below for details).
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about you. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that may be used on our Services and in our emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see the Your Choices section below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also obtain information about you from other sources and combine that with information we collect directly from you.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our websites, programs, and services;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process donations and transactions, and send you related information, including receipts;
- Respond to your emails, submissions, comments, questions and requests, request feedback or support, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Services;
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Services;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and to respond to your comments, questions, and customer service requests;
- Communicate with you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about our organization and its mission, and various issues, events, and activities, and providing other news and information we think will be of interest to you (see the Your Choices section below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Solicit donations and support for EC and for other organizations and issues that we support;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of SAFE and others;
- Debug to identify and repair errors in our Services;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
We share personal information in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this policy:
- We share personal information with vendors, service providers, and consultants that need access to personal information in order to perform services for us.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may share personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of SAFE, our users, the public, or others.
- We share personal information with our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our interests.
- We may share personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of a successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of SAFE;
- Personal information is shared between and among SAFE and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, related companies, and other entities under common control and ownership.
- We share personal information with your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our websites with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
ANALYTICS SERVICES PROVIDED BY OTHERS
TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO THE UNITED STATES AND OTHER COUNTRIES
SAFE is based in the United States, and we have operations and service providers in the United States and other countries. We process and store information in the United States. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide levels of data protection that are equivalent to those of your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving text messages or promotional emails from SAFE by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR INDIVIDUALS IN EUROPE
If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data, and this section applies to you.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process your personal data, we will do so in reliance on the following lawful bases:
- To perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the Services you requested).
- When we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data to operate our business or protect our interests (e.g., to provide, maintain, and improve our Services, conduct data analytics, and communicate with you).
- To comply with our legal obligations (e.g., to maintain a record of your consents and track those who have opted out of marketing communications).
- When we have your consent to do so (e.g., when you opt in to receive marketing communications from us). When consent is the legal basis for our processing of your personal data, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
We store personal data for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Data Subject Requests
Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to request access to the personal data we hold about you and to receive your data in a portable format, the right to ask that your personal data be corrected or erased, and the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions or Complaints
If you have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html