SAFE President and CEO Robbie Diamond made the following statement regarding the Republican Infrastructure Roadmap released today:
“While we agree with the Republican goals to boost economic growth, bolster against weather events, strengthen national security and improve Americans’ quality of life, we note the inexplicable absence of transportation electrification, which will be so integral to our lives. China continues to execute a strategy that includes controlling the entire electric vehicle supply chain – from minerals to markets. The United States must start to make real, sustained investments in electric vehicles, including their charging infrastructure and supply chain. As this technology proliferates globally, the United States is being left behind, and we risk the future of our automobile and truck manufacturing sectors.”
“Congress has previously supported electrification and its necessary infrastructure, with bipartisan agreement on the importance of vehicle markets and supply chains. Congress must continue this important work so that we can secure the future competitiveness of American jobs and technology in our auto and truck manufacturing sectors. We look forward to working with all stakeholders to achieve that,” Diamond added.
SAFE has been at the forefront of defining America’s economic and national security vulnerability to China. In its report, The Commanding Heights Of Global Transportation, SAFE found that China controls nearly 70 percent of global electric vehicle (EV) battery manufacturing capacity, while North America has less than 10 percent. This vast control includes:
- Direct or indirect control of 70 percent of the world’s lithium supply, 61 percent of the cathodes and 83 percent of the anodes used in batteries.
- Ownership of 80 percent of the rare earths supply needed for U.S. weapons systems and EVs, and control over the processing of this supply.
- China produces roughly 75 percent of the permanent magnets that use rare earths, another critical component for EV motors
- By 2020, 107 of the 142 lithium-ion battery megafactories under construction worldwide are, or will be, located in China. Just nine are planned for the United States.
- More than twice as many EVs sold cumulatively in China compared to the United States. 421,000 of the 425,000 electric buses worldwide are on Chinese roads.
Contact: Alex Adams | 202.461.2374 | email@example.com
SAFE enhances the nation’s energy security and supports our economic resurgence and resiliency, by advancing transformative transportation and mobility technologies and ensuring that the United States secures key aspects of the technology supply chain to achieve and maintain our strategic advantage.
In partnership with the Electrification Coalition, SAFE’s sister organization, we work with consumers, businesses, and policymakers, to launch award-winning “real-world” programs and enable the needed polices to accelerate transportation electrification around the country to reduce our Nation’s dependence on oil.