The National Summit on Energy Security
The summit brought together military leaders, CEOs, and policymakers to address the intensifying threats posed by our nation’s dependence on petroleum.
The National Summit on Energy Security brought together military leaders, CEOs and policymakers to address the intensifying threats posed by our nation’s dependence on petroleum. The Summit featured a slate of high-profile events that offered participants the opportunity to learn more about the threat of oil dependence and a forum to take part in formulating solutions.
Congressional Reception and Welcome Dinner: The Congressional reception and welcome dinner kicked off the National Summit on Energy Security by bringing together industry leaders, policymakers, and summit attendees to discuss the national security and economic threats posed by our dependence on oil. The reception featured remarks from U.S. Senators Chris Coons (D-DE) and Joe Manchin (D-WV). The dinner included remarks from Senators Roy Blunt (R-MO) and Jeff Merkley (D-OR) as well as from Admiral Dennis Blair, Former Director of National Intelligence and member of the Energy Security Leadership Council.
Oil ShockWave Executive Crisis Simulation: Oil ShockWave, a fast-paced wargame simulation featuring a cutting-edge graphics delivered in a life-like environment, awed Summit attendees. As former government officials and Cabinet members grappled with spiraling oil prices and geopolitical turmoil, they confronted crucial lessons about the fragile nature of the global energy economy. Participants included:
- Admiral Dennis C. Blair, USN (Ret.), former Director of National Intelligence and Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Command
- Ambassador Stuart E. Eizenstat, former Deputy Secretary of the Treasury
- Ari Fleischer, former White House Press Secretary
- Stephen Hadley, former National Security Advisor to President George W. Bush
- John Hannah, former National Security Advisor to Vice President Dick Cheney
- John Hofmeister, former President and CEO of Shell Oil Co.
- Ambassador John Negroponte, former Deputy Secretary of State and Director of National Intelligence
- Ambassador Susan C. Schwab, former United States Trade Representative
- General Charles F. Wald, USAF (Ret.), former Deputy Commander, U.S. European Command
CEO Forum Luncheon: Moderated by Chuck Todd, Chief White House Correspondent for NBC News, the CEO Forum served as an exclusive discussion on the dangers — both economic and national security — of oil dependence. Participants included:
- Frederick W. Smith, Chairman, President, and CEO of FedEx Corporation
- Andrew C. Taylor, Chairman and CEO of Enterprise Holdings
- Moderated by Chuck Todd, Chief White House Correspondent for NBC News
Moderated Discussions: Summit attendees had the opportunity to attend moderated breakout discussions in which they joined prominent business and opinion leaders to receive the latest intelligence on specific aspects of the energy security issue spectrum.
- Perspectives on Consumer Demand for Electrification
- Arun Banskota, President, NRG EV Services
- Charles Gassenheimer, Chairman & CEO, Ener1 Inc.
- Steven "Mac" Heller, Executive Chairman, CODA Automotive
- David Sandalow, Assistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs, U.S. Department of Energy
- John Spirtos, CEO, GridPoint Inc.
- Moderator: Seth Fletcher, Senior Editor, Popular Science Magazine and author of Bottled Lightning: Superbatteries, Electric Cars, and the New Lithium Economy
- Oil Supply Post-Macondo and the Geopolitics of Global Energy
- Admiral Paul F. Zukunft Assistant Commandant for Marine Safety, Security and Stewardship, U.S. Coast Guard
- Mark Finley, General Manager, Global Energy Markets and U.S. Economics, BP America
- Owen E. Kratz, Chairman, President & CEO, Helix Energy Solutions Group
- Pete Slaiby, Vice President, Alaska Exploration, Shell Oil Company
- Moderator: Frank Maisano, Senior Principal, Bracewell and Giuliani
- Political Turmoil in the Middle East: Is This an Arab Spring or an Arab Winter?
- Admiral Dennis Blair, USN (Ret.), former Director of National Intelligence and Commander in Chief of U.S. Pacific Command
- John Hannah, former National Security Advisor to Vice President Richard B. Cheney
- Salman Shaikh, Director, Brookings Doha Center and Fellow, Saban Center for Middle East Policy
- Moderator: Dr. Kenneth Pollack, Director, Saban Center for Middle East Policy, The Brookings Institution